Singita Kwitonda Lodge is the first Singita property in Rwanda. Guests choose to stay at Singita because of the expansive space and beauty of the reserves, limited guest and vehicle numbers, extraordinarily consistent game viewing and the exceptional care that is taken of each guest during their stay. It will be no different at Singita Kwitonda Lodge, however, Boasting breathtaking views of the Sabyinyo, Gahinga and Muhabura volcanoes and surrounded by high-altitude forests, Singita Kwitonda Lodge offers an experience unlike any of Singita’s other destinations.
Kwitonda is named after the Silverback gorilla whose legend lives on in Rwanda.
Singita Kwitonda Lodge sits lightly on 178 acres of breathtaking land right on the edge of Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park, a place of exceptional natural beauty where a third of the world’s endangered mountain gorillas live in high-altitude dense cloud forests. The presence of Singita Kwitonda Lodge and Kataza House on the park border will help to improve the function of the buffer area between agricultural plots and the habitat of the estimated 320 mountain gorillas that find sanctuary here.
Getting there: International flights arrive at Rwanda’s capital city, Kigali. From there, Singita Kwitonda Lodge is approximately two and a half hours by road. Alternatively, helicopter transfers are available from Kigali to Singita Kwitonda Lodge
With its exceptional natural beauty, environmentally conscious luxury and trans-formative, purpose-driven experiences, Singita Kwitonda lodge was designed in response to its remarkable location and the eight contemporary suites (as well as the private 4 bed-roomed villa – Kataza House) are linked by volcanic rock pathways to the central lodge. The interiors emphasize local design and handcrafted details adorn the carefully planned spaces. Layered textures and colors enhance the reflective quality of this tranquil haven and an experiential enclave offers free-flowing indoor and outdoor areas. A convivial fire pit, interactive kitchen, ‘bar-deli’ and wine cellar complete the picture.
The accommodation at Singita Kwitonda Lodge is set up with a choice of either a king bed or double beds in 8 suites as below.
- Has 7 – one bedroom suites
- Plus 1 – two bedroom suite that is ideal for families.
Key features of the room are:
- A well-stocked pantry
- Office / Work space
- Complimentary minibar
- In-room massage treatment area
- Private dining space, Rest area or lounge,
- A dressing room with double vanity
- A large bathroom with a bath, separate w/c, indoor and glass-enclosed outdoor shower.
- Private balcony with a fireplace
- Private heated plunge pool outside every suite
- Complimentary WiFi plus an iPad and media suite
Each suite at Singita Kwitonda has a view of the mountains and forests. Large in size, the Kwitonda rooms offer a modern refuge for relaxing by the fireplace in the chilly evenings.
Children of all ages are welcome and tailor-made activities are available to keep them occupied.
For most guests, a gorilla trek is at the top of their list when they visit Rwanda and a stay at Singita Kwitonda Lodge allows them the privilege to encounter one of Africa’s most majestic and gentle creatures in the wild, while immersed in the beauty of their pristine natural habitat. Setting off early in the morning for the 7am briefing at Volcanoes National Park’s headquarters, 10 minutes from Singita Kwitonda Lodge, guests are matched with a guide before starting their hike into the dense cloud forest. The distance of each gorilla trek is varied, so depending on which family group guests are allocated, the duration is anywhere from a couple of hours to a full day. Meals and lodge activities are flexible around each trek.
As children under the age of 15 are unable to participate in gorilla-treks, they will be cared for at the lodge with a variety of supervised activities and educational opportunities on offer.
Activities Singita Kwitonda Lodge include:
- An interactive Conservation Room managed by Singita’s specialist conservationists. Highlights include: pre- and post gorilla-trekking briefings,
a conservation wall, two iMacs, a big-screen television, maps and books.
- State-of-the-art photo-editing facilities.
- A tour of the on-site Akarabo Nursery, featuring the lodge’s farm-to-table journey.
- World-class wine tastings.
- Various exercise options, including cycling and yoga.
- In-room massage treatments.
- Cookery classes by expert chefs.
- Kids’ activities, including golden monkey treks, nursery tours, cooking classes, arts & crafts, games, movies, birding and an explorer programme.
Off-site activities Include;
- Gorilla-trekking in Volcanoes National Park.
- Golden monkey treks.
- Local market tours.
- A community tour offering a comprehensive cultural experience at the near by village of Gasura.
- Day tours exploring Kigali, including visits to the Genocide Memorial.
- A memorial guided hike to the primatologist Dian Fossey’s gravesite.
- The Musanze caves, comprising 2km of 32 underground caves.
- Cycling tours, on arrangement.
- Chef’s tours to the local village.
Rwanda can be visited at any time of the year and gorilla-trekking is a year-round activity. The average temperature at Singita Kwitonda Lodge is approximately 15 degrees Celsius, and the humidity can be quite high.