The Residence Zanzibar is set in isolated splendour on the South West coast of the island, on 32 hectares of pristine land once occupied by the Shirazi Princes.
Located just 55 minutes from the airport and the capital Stone Town, The Residence Zanzibar lies on a mile-long powdery white sand beach, flanked by coconut palms and the warm waters of the Indian Ocean.
There are 66 luxurious villas – each is spacious and appointed with contemporary decor and furnishings in a style reminiscent of the African and Omani heritage of the island.
There is a choice of various One Bedroom and Two Bedroom villas, including ones with an Ocean Front setting:
One Bedroom Villas (max 4 guests – 2 rollaway beds in living area):
- Luxury Garden Villa
- Luxury Ocean Villa
- Prestige Villas
Two Bedroom Villas (max 6 guests in 1 Double & 1 Twin room – 2 rollaway beds in living area):
- Frangipani Garden Villa
- Frangipani Ocean Villa
- Presidential Villa
Each villa features satellite television, CD/DVD player in the living room, mini bar, direct dial telephone, hairdryer, mosquito nets, personal safe, tea and coffee making facilities, broadband internet access, air-conditioning and overhead fans in the living room and bedrooms.
Outside there is a private deck with wicker chairs and day beds overlooking a plunge pool. Bicycles are provided with each villa to explore the gardens and local area.
The Residence offers various dining options with two restaurants or guests can dine in the intimacy of their villa. The Dining Room offers international dishes with a hint of Zanzibar “spice” and The Pavilion Restaurant showcases the best of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine.
The Dining Room
Set at the heart of the hotel with spectacular views over the beach and ocean, this is a relaxed yet sophisticated place to linger over breakfast or lunch. The “à la carte” menu features tempting, light options for lunch, but when night falls the menu reflects the spice and culture which Zanzibar is so famous for combining fresh foods and meats with Omani and African flavours.
The Pavilion Restaurant
Situated in the lush grounds, a short stroll from the main hotel, The Pavilion brings the best of Middle Eastern cuisine and culture to the heart of Zanzibar in a thoroughly modern setting. Shisha pipes and traditional music fit comfortably alongside the contemporary decor of this speciality restaurant. A mouth-watering menu takes you on a culinary journey from the Mediterranean to the Middle East embracing the flavours of all the countries in between.
In-Villa Private Dining
For complete seclusion, meals are available in the privacy of guests’ own villas. Romantic torchlit dinners can be arranged on the terrace with the backdrop of the Zanzibari sunset – a truly unforgettable experience.
The Dining Room Bar
Peaceful and unhurried, The Dining Room Bar is adjacent to the beautiful swimming pool and offers the perfect place to enjoy the cooling breeze and wonderful views of the beach and the Zanzibar sunset.
Activities & Facilities
The Residence Zanzibar offers you a wide variety of activities. The hotel features a glass walled swimming pool overlooking the ocean, an air-conditioned fitness centre and flood-lit tennis court. Dependent upon the tides, complimentary non-motorised watersports are available from the Boat House, which draws its inspiration from a traditional dhow, or directly from The Jetty.
A walk along the 150-metre jetty perched upon the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean rewards guests with the best views of the beach. By day, The Jetty is a nautical club. At night time, once a week, The Jetty turns into the perfect sunset lounge bar where cocktails and canapes are served (upon request with a supplement). A magical place, ideal for gazing at the ocean beyond and admiring the amazing sunset.
The hotel’s star attraction is The Spa, which features six pavilions and a rest area with a whirlpool nested amongst 2 hectares (5 acres) of surrounding tropical gardens. The Spa blends seamlessly into the natural landscape providing the perfect escape for rejuvenating the mind, body and soul. The spa harmoniously combines the highest quality treatments with an unmatched expertise in service offering a range of beauty philosophies tailored for total relaxation and pure indulgence.
The Kid’s Club
The Residence Zanzibar takes great care in ensuring all their guests and the children are well looked after, giving parents peace of mind and the confidence to relax and enjoy their holiday. Multi-lingual, professionally trained staff provide endless entertainment and adventure with a myriad of activities in a spacious, air-conditioned club house. Children can learn Swahili, take bicycles around the property, compete in volley ball tournaments, play hide and seek and much more. Babysitting is available at an extra charge.
- 1 floodlit Tennis Court
- Bicycles: you can enjoy trails around the property.
- Fitness Centre (7.00am – 8.00pm)
- Pedal boat
- Hobie Cat
- Snorkelling – one complimentary snorkelling trip is organised by the hotel once a day
- Kite surfing: 1 hour away
- Deep-sea fishing: 1 hour away
- Dolphin safari: 20 mins away
- Dhow cruise (traditional boat): 20 mins away
- Snorkelling excursion by boat
- Scuba diving: there are 5 dive sites (between 30 mins and up to 1 hour away)
Excursions (payable at hotel)
- Stone Town: with its bustling markets, winding alleyways, ornately carved and studded doors, is the vibrant cultural heart of Zanzibar and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The Jozani Natural Forest Reserve: home to the rare Red Colobus Monkey, unique to Zanzibar.
- Spice Plantations: to discover the history of Zanzibar, based on the trade of cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper and many other spices.
- Prison Island lies just off Stone Town: it is fringed with a beautiful coral reef, ideal for snorkelling and host to giant tortoises, originating from the Seychelles.
- Ruins of Persian baths and Omani palaces: can be seen in various locations on the island.
Optional All Inclusive
The hotel offers an optional All Inclusive board basis including:
- Breakfast at The Dining Room Restaurant
- Lunch at the Dining Room Restaurant/around the pool and beach
- Dinner at Pavilion Restaurant or Dining Room
- Large selection of Premium brands spirits & selected beers, cocktails + local spirits in all bars/restaurants
- Minibar (selection of wine, cocktails, beers, soft drinks and mineral water and snacks)
- Daily snorkelling from the jetty (tide permitting)
- Common yoga sessions on the jetty
- Wi-Fi Fitness Centre, Sauna & Haman
- Non-motorised water sports
- Tennis (including equipment)
- Selection of DVDs