Kenya visa requirements are for all visitors to Kenya, except for Nationals of the following countries who DO NOT need a Kenya visa:
Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Burundi, Cyprus, Darussalam, Dominica, Fiji Island, Ghana, Grenada, Jamaica, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia (for less than 30 day stay), Maldives, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa (for less than 30 day stay), St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, The Bahamas, Trinidad, Tobago, Tonga, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia & Zimbabwe
Citizens of the following countries require a visa that cannot be obtained online or on arrival at the airport but instead this must be done in advance through a Kenyan Embassy: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cameroon, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Eritrea, Iraq, Kosovo, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Palestine, Senegal, Somalia, Syria, Tajikistan.
For all other Nationals, Visas are required for entry and from 1st January 2021 these will no longer be issued on arrival at the airports in Nairobi and Mombasa but must be obtained prior to departure from Kenyan embassies overseas or through the Kenya Government website online.
WARNING: if you plan to apply online for an E-visa then you must beware of the websites of spurious visa handling companies and ensure that you do not use those as they charge exorbitant fees and may even issue fake visas! (See details below of how to apply online).
Passport validity: minimum 6 months before expiry:
Your passport must have at least 6 months left before expiry date and 2 blank pages left for visas. Children under the age of 16, travelling with an accompanying adult, do NOT require a visa.
The online E-Visas will normally be issued in less than 3 days but we recommend that Online Applications should be made at least 7 working days prior to travel to give plenty of time for the application process to be completed. Please note that Single Entry Visas are valid only for 90 days after date of issue, so you should not apply until less than 90 days before date of arrival and departure from Kenya. If you are travelling back into Kenya from other East African Countries on the same trip within the 90 day validity then you do not require an additional visa to re-enter and the Single Entry Visa will be accepted.
How To Apply Online For A Kenya E-Visa
- Click HERE to access the evisa web portal (https://evisa.go.ke/)
- Once on the portal, click on the create an account tab
- Fill in the required details;
- Passport Number
- First Name e.g. JAMES
- Last Name (Family Name)
- Select Gender (Male/Female)
- Email Address e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Confirm Email Address by keying in the email address again e.g. email@example.com
- Type in a strong password that you will remember (to be used with this account)
- Confirm Password by keying in the password again
- Select your nationality from the drop down menu.
- Tick to agree to the terms and conditions
- Once completed the above the system logs you into your new e-citizen account
- Click on Directorate of Immigration Services (New Applications)
- The eVisa dashboard page will open from clicking as above, showing your name. Click Continue.
- Click on eVisa application, scroll to the bottom of the page that opens and click next to start your eVisa application
- In the process, you will be required to submit a recent passport-type head and shoulders photo which you will need to have already scanned and saved on your computer. Please ensure that the format is jpeg as the portal only accepts JPEG Uploads and of up to 293kb in size, otherwise it may not upload successfully on the online form and it should have a white background.
- You will also need to have a scanned copy of the Bio-data page of your passport and a scanned copy of your booking confirmation invoice showing arrival and departure dates.
- The Online E-Visa Application form is mobile-enabled for smartphones and tablets.
- Once completed, you will then submit the eVisa Application and pay the online fee of US$51, or equivalent, using Visa or Mastercard debit cards. Credit cards are also acceptable for payment but an additional 3% fee applies to make a total of $54.
- Then await for approval to be shown on your E-Citizen account page within 3 days, with the status of your application indicated as ISSUED to enable you to click on the Download tab and then print your E-Visa.
- Present your printed E-Visa to the Passport Control officer on arrival at the airport in Kenya. Note: you should proceed straight to join the E-VISA queue at Passport Control.
Disclaimer From Government of Kenya:
- The Visa processing fee is non refundable.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- The possession of an E-Visa is not the final authority to enter The Republic of Kenya.
- Engaging in any form of business or employment without a requisite permit or pass is an offence.
- A Kenya visa is required prior to entry into The Republic of Kenya.
- The E-Visa printout must be presented at the port of entry
- It is recommended to have an allowance of at minimum 2 working days to get your eVisa.
Gamewatchers Safaris E-Visa Service
For any customers of Gamewatchers Safaris & Porini Camps who have difficulty completing the online E-visa application process, we can assist in submitting the application on your behalf – please contact the Safari Consultant handling your booking for details and to receive the Visa Application Form which you should complete and return to us so that we can obtain your E-Visa and email this to you. We provide this as a service to our customers who have booked a safari in Kenya with us and our total administration charge of around $12 per person on top of the total e-visa fee is much less than the online visa companies charge!
WARNING: beware of the websites of spurious visa handling companies which may look like the official Kenya Immigration department but which charge exorbitant fees to process visas for unsuspecting applicants. The charge for the visa on arrival is US$50 in cash while the charge for processing the E-visa application yourself via the correct Kenya government website (http://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html) is US$54 including credit card fee. We can obtain the E-visa for our customers at a total charge of US$67 to cover the visa fee and our admin charge.
If Visiting Rwanda or Uganda and a combination with your Safari, you could apply for the East Africa Visa – However, Please Note this MUST be applied from the country that you will first arrive at.