Visas are required for all visitors to Kenya, except for Nationals of the following countries who DO NOT need a Kenya visa:
Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Burundi, Cyprus, Darussalam, Dominica, Fiji Island, Ghana, Grenada, Jamaica, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia (for less than 30 day stay), Maldives, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa (for less than 30 day stay), St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, The Bahamas, Trinidad, Tobago, Tonga, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia & Zimbabwe
Citizens of the following countries require a visa that cannot be obtained online or on arrival at the airport but instead this must be done in advance through a Kenyan Embassy: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cameroon, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Eritrea, Iraq, Kosovo, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Palestine, Senegal, Somalia, Syria, Tajikistan.
For all other Nationals, Visas are issued on arrival, at Passport Control at the airports in Nairobi and Mombasa. They can also be obtained prior to departure from Kenyan embassies overseas or they can be obtained online. If you plan to obtain visas on arrival then you’ll need US$50 each in cash for the visa fee. Please make sure you have the exact amount in cash in US dollars with you before you leave home as there is no foreign exchange facility in Immigration and they do not accept credit cards or Travellers Cheques and do not give change. You should be given an immigration form on the plane and it is best to complete this before you land so you can go straight into the queue to purchase your visa. Your passport must have at least 6 months left before expiry date and 2 blank pages left for visas. Children under the age of 16, travelling with an accompanying adult, do NOT require a visa.
The online E-Visas will normally be issued in less than 3 days but we recommend that Online Applications should be made at least 7 working days prior to travel to give plenty of time for the application process to be completed. Please note that Single Entry Visas are valid only for 90 days after date of issue, so you should not apply until less than 90 days before date of arrival in Kenya. If you are travelling back into Kenya from other East African Countries on the same trip within the 90 day validity then you do not require an additional visa and the Single Entry Visa will be accepted.
How To Apply Online For A Kenya E-Visa
- Click HERE to register with the Kenya Immigration Department for an E-visa Account with your username and a password and to receive an email with a link to enable you to activate your E-visa Account.
- Once you activate your account, by clicking on a link in the email sent to you, you will be asked to submit a recent passport-type head and shoulders photo which you will need to have already scanned and saved on your computer. Please ensure that the photo is less than 1MB otherwise it may not upload successfully on the online form and it should have a white background.
- You will also need to have a scanned copy of the Bio-data page of your passport and a scanned copy of your booking confirmation invoice showing arrival and departure dates.
- To complete the Online Form it is best to have Google Chrome installed on your computer. Using Internet Explorer is likely to cause problems in completing the online process. (Download Chrome for free via this link). The Online E-Visa Application form is mobile-enabled for smartphones and tablets.
- Select “Department of Immigration Services” and then click on Submit Application followed by clicking on “Kenyan Visa”.
- You will then select “Apply for a Single Entry Visa” (which also includes Double Entry) and complete the Application Form online which includes adding the passport photo and booking confirmation.
- You will then submit the Kenyan Visa Application and pay the online fee of US$51, or equivalent, using Visa or Mastercard debit cards. Credit cards are also acceptable for payment but an additional 3% fee applies to make a total of $52.53.
- Then await for approval to be shown on your E-Citizen account page within 3 days, with the status of your application indicated as ISSUED to enable you to click on the Download tab and then print your E-Visa.
- Present your printed E-Visa to the Passport Control officer on arrival at the airport in Kenya. Note: you should proceed straight to join the E-VISA queue at Passport Control.
Disclaimer From Government of Kenya:
- The Visa processing fee is non refundable.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- The possession of an E-Visa is not the final authority to enter The Republic of Kenya.
- Engaging in any form of business or employment without a requisite permit or pass is an offence.
- A visa is required prior to entry into The Republic of Kenya.
- The E-Visa printout must be presented at the port of entry
For any customers of Gamewatchers Safaris & Porini Camps who are unable to complete the online E-visa application process, we can assist in submitting the application on your behalf – please contact the Safari Consultant handling your booking for details and to receive the Visa Application Form which you should complete and return to us so that we can obtain your E-Visa and email this to you.