A simple and colourful independent lodge located in the northern part of Bwindi National Park in the south-west of Uganda. The park is famed for its 11 habituated gorilla groups that you can trek to. Like other properties in Bwindi, Mahogany Springs is just up the road from both the park headquarters (where you go before your gorilla trek) and the small town of Bwindi. Mahogany Springs Safari Lodge offers privacy and serenity blended with optimal comfort in a spectacular setting. The Lodge overlooks the ecologically diverse and stunning Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
Mahogany Springs Safari Lodge takes its name from the 400 year old mahogany tree that towers majestically above the lodge gardens.
The main area of Mahogany Springs is cosy yet spacious. It is all built of wood and the main area combines a dining area, a large veranda, a bar and a curio shop. The décor is warm and colourful. The rooms are located off a stoned pathway, through beautiful gardens and the forest in the background. The property is quiet and spacious, offering a very relaxing stay. The lodge offers comfortable rooms and a friendly atmosphere with a focus on high quality customer service.
All the rooms at Mahogany Springs are high end suites. All Suites can be twin, double or triple. There is 24/7 power in all the rooms. All rooms have large en-suite bathrooms with a gorgeously designed open terracotta shower.
All 12 luxurious suites have their own private terrace with magnificent panoramic views over the grounds, river and surrounding areas.
Every room bears the name of English Royals both past and present. All the rooms at Mahogany Springs are suites.
The superior suites can be twin, double or triple and offer ensuite bathrooms with a private terrace with panoramic views of the surrounding forest. There are power points in the rooms as well as a dressing table/desk. All suites have large ensuite bathrooms with a gorgeously designed open terracotta shower. For added comfort and peace of mind all the suites have an advanced mosquito net system that wraps around the entire area of the beds. All 10 luxurious suites have their own exquisitely designed terrace with magnificent panoramic views over the grounds, river and surrounding areas.
There is a presidential suite which is good for families. The two bedrooms interconnect and a lounge area is provided. The final room type is the honeymoon suite which is similar to the superior suite but has a few extras, such as a larger bed and a bathtub. This Uganda luxury lodge consists of seven large thatched cottages that blend seamlessly with the surroundings and overlook the clear waters of the Munyanga River and the dense jungles of the national park. Suites are spacious with large double doors, hardwood floors, crisp white linens, sun-soaked windows, gorgeously designed open terracotta showers, advanced mosquito net systems, and private terraces with panoramic views of the verdant valley.
The main dining area is exquisitely furnished and with panoramic views beyond the lodge’s own gardens you will enjoy dining in a tranquil and unrivalled setting. The service provided is as much an art form as the food therefore, the staff are trained to very high standards. Within the main building there is a stunning bar where guests can sit all day and night trying one of the many cocktails or simply a bottle of fine wine. Most of the produce used at Mahogany Springs is grown on site to provide guests with the freshest ingredients. Mahogany Springs cater to all dietary requirements and understands the importance of delicous meals.
From the rising of the sun through the day’s end, the main building at Mahogany Springs Lodge provides guests with an optimal place to gather. Enjoy a glass of wine at the impressive wooden bar or relax in front of the double-sided fireplace with a book or board game from the library. Meals are memorable, with Head Chef Subedi preparing a wide range of international flavors. Barbecue night, a favorite with guests, is held one a week on the terrace, and afternoon tea is included every day alongside fresh cakes and biscuits from the lodge’s pastry chef. Private bush breakfasts and dinners by the river are also available at Mahogany Springs Lodge
Activities and attractions
Cultural and personal enrichment is never far away at Mahogany Springs Lodge in Bwindi. Following an exciting gorilla trekking adventure, bird watching exploration, or visit with the Batwa tribe, celebrate with a massage from the onsite masseuse or a champagne toast on the terrace. The exotic gardens and intricately designed stone pathways leading to the river invite guests to uncover every corner of this magical place, including such surprises as the homegrown vegetable garden.
- Gorilla Tracking: The Gorilla tracking starting point is located just 2 minutes away from Mahogany Springs. This experience will remain in your memories forever and can not be put into words.
- Bird Watching: Mahogany Springs is a bird watchers dream. Located on an open piece of land with a river running through. it is the ideal lodge for any keen bird watchers. Mahogany Springs also offers complimentary tours around their extensive gardens with their resident bird watching expert.
- Batwa experience: Spend time with the Batwa/Pygmy tribe, one of the oldest tribes in the world. Learn all about their culture and traditions from mock hunting techniques, fire making, tree house building and more.
- Waterfall walk, 2-3 hours: This escorted walk in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, traces the river up into the park, where 3 beautiful waterfalls can be found along the way. Along the way you will see various wildlife including many bird species.
- River Walk/ Relax: Spend time down by our river. The magical Munyanga river runs through Mahogany Springs. You can go for a lovely stroll along its banks or simply relax with an ice cool drink and let us serve you.
- Ivy Trail – WALK from BUHOMA to Nkuringo or Vice Versa: This amazing guided walk will take you all the way through to the South side of the Forest (Nkuringo). The walk can take 3-5 hours and is an experience never to be forgotten. Your luggage will be carried through the forest for you or can be driven around if you have a large amount. You will then have the experience of sleeping on both sides of the forest which are totally unique with their own views and of course different Gorilla Groups.