Gamewatchers Safaris and Porini Camps are proudly working with The Maarifa Foundation – an Australian-based Education for Conservation Non-Profit organization set up to support children in the community conservancies in Kenya. The Maarifa Foundation provides education support and opportunity for these students, and with an aim to develop a deep-seeded passion for conservation and wildlife in the younger generations (who in the future of course will be their community’s leaders).
The Maarifa Foundation works in consultation with us here at Gamewatchers and with a specially-established Community Advisory Committees at each school to ensure the real needs of the community are understood and met.
Due to Covid-19 it was essential that the first call of business was to get the children back into the classroom and so The Foundation has so far funded school fees, uniforms, shoes and provision of solar lights for studying after dark, for 25 children identified as being most in need from Illoirero Primary School in Selenkay Conservancy. Work is also beginning to provide support for Kishermoruak Primary School in Ol Kinyei Conservancy.
Once the children are back to school that is when the fun begins! The Maarifa Education for Conservation Program is a grass roots conservation program focused on three primary principles: Share; Experience; Action! The aim is to inspire a future generation of conservation-minded citizens and sustainable communities. Some of the planned activities include:
- Mazingira (Environment) Club for students to participate in expert led sessions and activities
- School twinning program with global classmates from Australia to share stories
- Experience to Amboseli National Park for Illoirero students and Masai Mara National Reserve for Kishermorouak students
- Construction of a library space filled with environment, wildlife and conservation books for all ages
- Building of a sustainable kitchen garden and energy efficient stove to engage students in hands on learning about sustainability, nutrition and resource management as well to be able to provide the students with a healthy meal each day